Merrimack Valley Emergency Associates PA Fellowship in Emergency Medicine
Inception Date: Information Unavailable
Curriculum: The Emergency Medicine Fellowship is a comprehensive program designed to provide the PA with in-depth clinical experience at our two emergency departments in Lowell, MA, accompanied by pertinent didactic instruction in the field of Emergency Medicine.
- To prepare the PA with the tools necessary for a successful career in Emergency Medicine
- To provide clinical experiences which will enable the PA to navigate the complicated process of the initial patient evaluation, focused physical examination, diagnostic testing, and the safe disposition of the patient.
- Core faculty will provide monthly interactive educational conferences in a case presentation format on topics necessary for the practice of Emergency Medicine
- The educational conferences will be augmented by self-study through Emergency Medicine Core Training (EMCT); a web-based platform.
- Competence in clinical procedures will be achieved via both the monthly educational conferences as well as with bedside instruction by experienced ED Physician and APP faculty.
- Point of care emergency ultrasound instruction will be provided for studies necessary in the field of Emergency Medicine.
- Specific time allotted to off-service specialties felt to be beneficial to comprehensive emergency medicine.
- Paramedic services
- Ortho clinic and casting/splint training
- The fellow will be given graduated autonomy such that by the latter part of the fellowship, he/she will be functioning with similar decision-making autonomy and responsibility as an experienced PA.
- Upon completion of the fellowship, the fellow may be offered a position with MVEA with the salary and benefits available to our full-time, experienced APP
Clinical Rotations: Information Unavailable
Program Length: 54 weeks
Class Size: MVEA accepts two applicants into its fellowship yearly.
Class start dates: Fellowships are staggered with one applicant beginning in July and the other beginning in January. We accept applications throughout the year and have a rolling admissions process.
Credential: Upon successful completion of the program fellows will receive a certificate from MVEA & Lowell General Hospital. This indicates a high level of knowledge and skill in Emergency Medicine which should make fellows more competitive for Emergency Medicine positions throughout the country.
Provided at no cost to the Fellow
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- HSA Maximum contribution
- Long-term disability
- Emergency Medicine Core Training subscription (paid for with CME allowance)
- Accrual of 3 weeks paid time off
- CME allowance
- Payment of hospital medical appointment fees
- Membership in AAPA or equivalent
- Reimbursement of State, DEA, and MA controlled substance license fees
CME: CME allowance
- Graduation from an accredited PA program
- Board certification granted by the NCCPA
- Massachusetts state licensure
- Drug Enforcement Administration licensure
- Massachusetts Controlled Substance licensure
How to Apply:
Application and supporting material must all be submitted before consideration for a position.
- Apply online through our websitehttps://www.merrimackvalleyemergencyassociates.com/pa-np-fellowships
- Supporting Documentation can be uploaded through website or mailed to address given.
- School transcript(s)
- Three references and/or letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- The selection committee reviews all completed applications
- Invitations will be offered to the most highly-qualified applicants to participate in an in-person interview in Lowell, Massachusetts
In most instances, the applicant will be notified of acceptance into the program within two to three weeks of the in-person interview.
Affiliations: Lowell General Hospital
Jonathan Drake, MD, FACEP, FAEMS
Kimberly O Schwab, MS, PA-C